Wednesday, November 01, 2006

 

The last bean saloon

Picked the last runner beans today - as in previous years quite a good crop off quite poor plants. Germination very bad. The ones that have dried off will serve to pad out what is left of yesterday's mince.

Started the Autumn dig. Dug over some of the ground where I had buried newspapers last Spring - about four weekday Daily Telegraph's thick and about one spade deep (there is a proper word for this which I forget) - and suprised to find how little is left. The earlier stuff has more or less vanished. Not sure if it is doing the ground any good but it is a ecoway to get rid of newspapers.

Some bits of ground covered with spinach sports. Which have done hugely better than the seeds that I have planted. Will have to see if we can make anything of them. Some bits of ground covered with comfrey where I did not get all the roots out. That is supposed to make good mulch. And some bits covered with teasel seedlings. I will dig most of them out but they make interesting plants for a good chunk of the year so I shall leave some.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?