Saturday, February 17, 2007

 

Mole alert

There have been moles in the school field next to the allotments for some time. Over the winter they got into the path running up the field side of the allotments. Now they have invaded last year's broad bean patch. Maybe I should dig them out while the ground is still empty. If they get among growing vegetables they will be a real pain. I wonder if they eat pumkins or marrows when they want a change from worms and grubs.

Two more rows of broad beans. Starting to wonder whether I should pause for a few weeks - although my recollection is that I don't do very well with later beans. The catch is that as things are they tend to come into full production about the time we go on our summer holiday - hence the recent interest in bean pudding.

After two or three weeks of large quantities of Japanese green tea it is now off the menu. For some reason is started to taste fishy - something I usually associated with being about to get a cold but I do not think that is the case on this occasion. Back to Earl Grey with organic lemons (or at least unwaxed lemons) again. Maybe as one drinks more of the stuff one's taste buds get more discriminating and odd background flavours creep into the foreground. Certainly true of some other things - like bread - which I consume in significant quantities. But not beer, possibly because I don't usually stick to one brand so the flavour is moving around the whole time anyway. No room for fishy flavours to emerge.

Was forced to vary my long established kidney with carraway seed recipe. I didn't have enough fresh tomatoes and the thing was a bit thin. Didn't like to use tinned tomatoes or puree which, to my mind anyway, have a rather sharp tinny flavour, so chucked in a few red lentils instead. They did fine.

I see that UK and US are at the bottom of the child cuddle factor table. Maybe the thing in common, apart from the similarity of the name, is that we both went into Iraq. Also both heavily into peddysteria - so maybe with good reason? Finland and Hungary are at the other end of the table. Do they have something less arcane in common than their joint membership of the Uralian group of languages?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?