Sunday, April 15, 2007

 

Time for sunburn

Spent a couple of hours or so shirt free in the allotment sun yesterday. So far no burning - which is not bad for me. Did most of a row for carrot seeds which was finished off and seeded this morning. Reminded how much vegetable seeds differ, one from another. Which reminds that seeds, stamens and pistils are the life blood of the plant taxonomer.

Saw a most interesting garden shed, mostly constructed of discarded garage doors (of the pressed aluminium variety), with various anti-burglar devices and various interior mod-cons. All most ingenious - but I think I shall muddle along shed-free for a bit yet. Taking the few tools that I used down with me is yet to be pain enough to push me into sheds. But who knows: shedophilia might take me yet.

Had the hose on the potatoes for a couple of hours - the underground being damp enough but the surface drying out - not having had any rain for a month or so now. Hard to know whether potatoes count as underground or near surface - so run a bit of water into the ground to be on the safe side. A near neighbour's potatoes are well up now - say more than six inches high - but he may get hammered by the frost yet - as we both did last year. In my case, one more serious potato challenge along with the very dry summer.

Hastings haddock again on Friday. Sliced onion on bottom of dish, fish on top of that, few knobs of butter and topped up with foil. 180C for a little less than an hour and just the job. Having neither added water or pepper a plus as far as I was concerned. Served, naturally, with mashed potato and cabbage.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?