Friday, May 23, 2008

 

Stink

The dead badger had been removed by yesterday but there was still a powerful smell. Presumably the thing had just been chucked into the hedge by the side of the road.

But the good news is that Dunwoody junior got trounced at Crewe. I might be old labour but I do not like hereditary offices.

More good news on the DIY front. Two successful bits of fence mending at very modest cost. Although nearly managed to brain myself collecting the new rail for the second bit. Thought that it would be a good idea to fetch the 3 metre bit of 2 by 3 to make the rail from Champions, who are a couple of miles away, on the bicycle. Hang it over the shoulder and set off on the pavement, thinking that having the rail swinging ponderously around in the road - in the way that such things do, despite the restraining rope - maybe not too bright. Then down past the common and all was going well until I noticed some overhanging tree. All set to brush it aside when I realised that the overhanging tree contained a rather serious branch at about scalp height. Might have done some serious damage had I not ducked rather than brushed. Clearly getting too old for such stunts.

And then last week set off with the intention of doing the Chessington circuit which involves turning right off the Leatherhead Road towards Chessington North railway station and onto Ewell West. Instead of which I manage to sail straight across the roundabout concerned presumably registering it well enough to get across it in one peice but without registering it in the route planning part. As I go through Hook start to wonder where the roundabout was and when I get to the A3 decide that I must of missed it and turn around. A bit like the times when one manages to drive many miles and suddenly realise that you cannot remember a thing about it. As if the driving is being managed in some disposable compartment of the brain while some other compartment is getting on with the something else that you can remember. Head peice clearly a tricky operation.

Another work dream the other day. It seems that I had crossed the great divide and become an IT contractor selling something to the governement. In this case the procurement was being run from the government side by a rather pedantic contractor with whom I had worked in the past. Infuriated to find that I was now at the receiving end of his pedantry and could do nothing about it - if I wanted to have any chance of getting the bit of business that was. And to make things worse, it turned out that I didn't have any chance because I was a one-man company and all the other contenders were all large IT service companies with oodles of staff and track record. Didn't make the first cut.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?