Thursday, June 26, 2008

 

On a retirement

To mark this occasion, I have a short parable.

Once upon a time, in the town of Wolverton (famous for its concrete cows), there was a company which made sanitary ware. Possibly French. And in this company there was a board consisting of the lord and three wise men. One day, there was a board meeting, held in a fine nearby golf club. I think it hosted an open once (shortly before I was there on some very important user group business). Something to do with the Forest of Arden. Anyway, wise man number 1 says: "I had this great idea in my bath this morning. Why don't we drill holes in the bottom of our baths so that the water runs out? Rather than having to fetch it out with a jug. The customer can plug his hole with a chargeable plug. Maybe even a rentable plug". Wise man number 2 (responsible for contractor relations) says: "That's a really great idea. I'll bring in a team tomorrow to get cracking on it. We'll have a feasibility study out before Christmas". Wise man number 3 (a rather quiet chap, responsible for employee relations) muses for a while. Then he sez, sezzee: "I think a couple of chaps in team D are already doing something like that. They might even have shipped a few. I'm absolutely sure that I signed a claim form for a big drill bit, along with some fags and sandwiches". At this point in the discussion the lord turns apoplectic. He says, or rather storms: "Never mind about the fags and sandwiches you f***. How often do I have to tell you. If you get on out and drill the holes like that, where is our project. How can we possibly make a project out of perforated baths? You must recall them at once". Wise man number 3 very crestfallen. Gazes at his cooling coffee. Very quietly he sez, sezzee: "Sorry sir. Three bags full sir. But it just so happens I've got a luvvy coming in this afternoon to do a luvvin with team D. I'll tell them the're stood down in the camomile break. No great harm down". And so the great plug hole project was born and has lived on to be with us still. Long life and happiness!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?