Tuesday, August 18, 2009

 

Rotund thoughts

Have been turning over the business of the various people who like to see photo ID these days, usually, I think, in the form a a new driving license (mine does not run to photos) or a passport of any age. They have had photos for at least as long as I have had passports. Now the point is, at HSBC, they only glanced at the thing in a very cursory fashion. So I imagine it would be easy enough to make a forgery which could stand up to such examination. Would not stand any kind of proper check against central records but most of the people checking such IDs do not have access to central records, although I suppose that might well come with time. Ditto driving license. So is there a whole cottage industry out there of people making low grade forgeries?

Next question is, what evil things could I do, armed with a passport with my picture and someone else's name? Evil enough and long term enough to make getting the passport both worth while and practical? Item 1, I could sign up with a solicitor and sell the someone else's house, supposing the house to be empty and the someone else to be absent, perhaps abroad, in prison or in some other form of residential care. Item 2, if I also had a bank card which had yet to be stopped, I could go into a bank, have the PIN number changed and acquire funds. For this to work, one would have to target the person and organise the passport. Then pinch the bank card in such a way that the owner did not notice for a while.

I dare say I could dream up some more items. So I think there is money in this for someone.

Getting more rotund, I have been pondering about the business of the MP who, with his wife, walked out of a constituent's wedding, on the grounds that it was segregated and that, in consequence he would not be able to sit with his wife. Now I am no Muslim, and their rules on women generally and segregation in particular are not for me. But that is mainly a matter for them and if I chose to go to a couples' wedding, I am agreeing to play the game their way. It seems astonishing that a Minister of the August Crown would not know this. BH's first thought was that as a Labour MP, it was most unlikely that he would have gone to a public school and learnt some manners. I was not so convinced, as I have come across plenty of public school types who can be very rude when they choose, although to be fair they have also learnt to be charming, even smarmy, when they choose. I learn from his web site (http://www.jimfitzpatrickmp.co.uk/) that he is a fireman from Glasgow, who has clambered the heights of New Labour on the back of the Fire Brigades Union. So what have we learnt about firemen?

Two Chromo (the newish browser from Google) snippets. First, for, I think, the second time, it has failed when playing the HSBC banking game. Had to revert to Internet Explorer to get the job done. Second, I worry slightly about how much Chromo seems to remember about web sites I have visited. So, for example, as a good citizen, I was logging my electricity meter reading online. Relevant utility site temporarily out of action, a fact which it did not manage to impart until I had gone through half the login rigmarole. But, some time later, Chromo had thoughtfully remembered the login rigmarole and only needed a gentle prompt for it to fill them it in again for me. Now assuming that it is Chromo doing this, rather than the utility site, do I really want Chromo to remember all this stuff? What happens if my PC falls into the hands of bad people. Will they be able to recover my electricity logon credentials from somewhere deep inside?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?