Thursday, September 17, 2009

 

Farinaceous factoids

Having closed the last post with a French factoids, it seems appropriate to open this one with some elderly farinaceous factoids, both derived elderly G-words. The first is groat 1, not to be confused with groat 2, the latter being derived from gross (see also the foreign groschen) in the sense of thick, meaning a thick penny, worth four pennies. Groat 1 has some quite differant derivation and is a slightly vague word, only used in the plural, meaning a coarsely ground hulled grain, usually oats but also barley, wheat or maize. By extension a porriage made of same, this last explaining the origin of the grits hailing from the southern states of the US of A. Something it seems which George Bush II could get down with aplomb on the hustings, while poor old Al Gore gagged a bit, being brought up on a fancy east coast diet. Maybe it cost the latter the election. The second G-word is gruel, one meaning of which is to exhaust or punish, and so onto gruelling experiences, but the more usual meaning of which is also farinaceous, viz. a fine meal or flour, generally oatmeal. By extension a porriage, pottage or broth made of same. Possibly with any or all of chopped meat, almonds, onions, sugar, butter and spices added in small quantities to give a bit of flavour.

Woke up this morning to a scary dream, back in the world of work. I had been working away on a fascinating project in some large office tucked away at the back of some large building. Not too many - if any - staff to worry about. But then people started drifting in who claimed they worked for me. Been away for the Christmas holidays or something. Started bringing all sorts of office furniture into the previously quiet large office and generally settling in. Bother, I thought. Got to start looking after these people, most of whom were complete no hopers. Like a couple of the charectars in 'The Wire'. Got to try and find something useful for them to do while not burning up so much of my time that I can't do anything useful - or more to the point, interesting. Progress meetings, action lists and progress reports. Situation reports. Gant charts. Or is it Gantt charts? All the parenphrenalia of management. Start to wander around the office, taking an interest in them. Make some innocent suggestions about the placement of cupboards. Got told that they were far too busy just now to worry about that. And indeed they were. They managed to be tremendously industrious doing more or less nothing. A lot of smoke, mirrors and teapots. I retire back to my end of the office, where I find that a couple of ladies have colonised the desk where I keep my computer, additional that is to the desk where I take my tea. Have to find new location for the computer. Start wandering back even further, where I find a splendid place to put my computer, complete with two power points, and fixed somehow onto a large wooden gate. Members of the public wandering around outside gate. Associate to Hampton Court. This won't do at all. Valuble PC in sight of smelly public. Retrace my steps to find that I have managed to leave the building without noticing. Must find place for PC inside the building. Much despondancy about the whole situation. When will I ever get back to my fascinating project? Wake up.

So decide that it is time to cross the next Rubicon. To apply for my freedom of Surrey pass. Dig out passport. Dig out rates letter from council explaining that I have £1 less a month to pay for the next 3 months. (Excellent use of public money this). Dig out passport photograph. Complete application form. Cycle off to Bourne Hall to present all this material. Greeted by infants choir behind a screen doing a spirited rendering 'heads and shoulders knees and toes'. Gentleman behind the counter says that he can indeed process my application and proceeds to inspect my material. At which point I realise that I had forgotten to pack the photograph. Application void. This important senior moment botched. It won't be at all the same when I creep back with photgraph. Moment completely spoilt.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?