Sunday, May 23, 2010

 

In contravention

Confidence much boosted by the success with the hose reel yesterday, this morning went into action on the kitchen clock which has been misbehaving for some months now and which has been mentioned to me on several occasions.

This particular clock hung over the back door, was powered by the mains (which means it needed to be adjusted every time we had a power cut, something which has been happening several times a year in recent years) and was made by a gang called Metamec. It seems that this clock, at least it if it was in working conditions would be collectable. See for example http://www.watneys.com/collectables/clocks. Ours is now in our green wheelie bin and FIL's kitchen clock from Argos is in temporary residence in the kitchen. Not sure if it will ever be a collectable.

However, to get the old one into the bin, I had first to disconnect the thing from the mains, to which it was connected via a natty little fitting in the wall. So, turn off the computers. Turn off the power at the mains - not thinking it worthwhile to establish which of the dozen or so fuses controlled the kitchen clock. Did it count as a lighting circuit or a power circuit? Remove screws from natty little fitting which turns out to be rather a decent fitting from MK. Proper job. Which consists of a small flat wall socket plus a small flat version of a three pin plug to which the clock is wired. All very discrete. So I remove the plug from the socket, disconnect the clock from the plug, put the plug back in the socket and turn the power on again at the mains. Easy peasy. Safe as houses. But have I contravened Electricity Works Regulations (Domestic) 2002? Which, so I am informed, mean that I am not supposed to do any electrical work in my own house involving screw drivers. That I have to hire someone licensed and regulated by the Electricity Works Council (Domestic) to do the work at some hugely inflated rate. The result of all this is that when my heirs or assigns come to sell the house they might have trouble preparing the HIP. Where will the certificate be for the missing clock? That says it was removed according to full panoply of the relevant regulations? Not my problem.

While I am at it I should also confess to a similar disregard of regulations earlier in the week when I took down a partition wall containing a wall light and a light switch without turning the power off. In my defence I can say that the plaster on this wall was pretty ancient and fell off its (sawn) lathes without any bother at all. Just a few smacks with the wrecking bar. Little bit of care around the electrical fittings and they swung free, clear and undamaged. Even managed not to break the light bulb.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?