Friday, May 07, 2010

 

Its that senior moment time again

Another new species of senior moment discovered yesterday morning. Can't remember the actual subject but the moment went like this. For some reason, started wondering when I had last been to Portland Bill. Some other part of the brain supplied a video clip of me at Portland Bill. The answer to the wonder. But then yet another part of the brain realised that the video clip was a phony. Second part of the brain, wanting to be helpful to the first part, just invented the video clip. Plausible but entirely invented. I guess I would have to start to worry if things like this started to happen very often.

For the moment reassured by an old species of senior moment. A couple of weeks or so ago we realised that we were not get any incoming calls on our telephone. We don't get that many so it took a while to realise. In fact, took a few beverages and an email to get me to move on the matter. At which point we worked out that we could make outbound calls OK and that we could take inbound calls OK, provided only that we managed to know that the inbound call was there. That is to say the telephone was not ringing but if you picked it up you were connected and could have a conversation.

Phone British Telecom. Talk to computer. Talk to person. Has sir tried unplugging everything and plugging it all in again? Tried the test socket lurking behind the plate? No, sezzaye. Never mind, I'll do a line test. Some minutes later, maybe there is something wrong with the line on our side. Some more minutes later, maybe there is something wrong with your telephone. No, sezzaye, your telephone. I pay you rent for it. You do something about it. After the third iteration of this last exchange we get some movement. OK, sezzee, I will send you a new one and we will see if that sorts the problem out. Over and out.

Some days later new telephone has not arrived. BH getting restive. Phone British Telecom. Talk to computer. Talk to person. Oh sir. The order for your new telephone does not seem to have been placed. I will place it now. It should turn up in the post in a few days. Or rather, in getting on for a week, given that we have a bank holiday weekend.

Some days later new telephone has arrived. Plug it in and try ringing it on the mobile. Same story, no ringing but if you pick up the handset you can take the call. Ah, sezzaye, very wisely. Clearly some problem exchange side. But fair to try out our end first. BH getting more restive but goes out about her business. I start to play combinations with buttons under the new telephone. Then it occurs to me that maybe I ought to plug the telephone direct into the socket, by-passing the splitter which provides the Broadband (which had and has been providing uninterrupted service, apart from the usual whirrings and stirrings) and the extension lead which provides telephonic services while one is watching Coronation Street. New telephone springs into life. Try old telephone. It springs into life. Put splitter back in line but leave the extension lead out line. Both telephones still work. Me knocking up a nasty bill on my pay as you go mobile while all this is going on.

So, for once in a while, British Telecom were right. I should have gone through all the tedious rigmarole they set down in the telephone directory. In my defence, I suppose I can say that the fact that the telephone was nearly working blinded me to the fact that it might be that it was the extension lead that was nearly working and that the telephone, the exchange and the main lead between them were fine.

BH came home and I thought it best to give her a line about weak exchange signal being jollied into life by the new telephone. Thought I might get some earache if I was generous with the verite. She seemed OK with it. But I wonder if she knows really and is just being nice? Mustn't damage senior male pride sort of thing.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?