Thursday, June 17, 2010

 

New toy

Have just learned about a new toy in the Wetherspoons at Tooting. Which all goes to show that all the amber nectar consumed there has not completely trashed the consumers' brain cells. Something by the name of drop box - http://www.dropbox.com/ - a file server service which is free to the modest user.

Which means that I now have a 'Dropbox' folder in the 'My documents' folder on the Internet PC at home and whenever I drop something into it, that something is moved up into the cloud, from where I can access it. Asynchronously, in the background, so I don't have to sit and watch the egg boil.

So I am now sitting in Bourne Hall library peering at all the stuff which I have put into the dropbox folder. And if I do it right, and then send the address to someone else, that someone else can access the same files. Simple and neat interface - so far.

It also seems to be able to cope with 25Mb files, which is more than gmail is comfortable with, so it may well be that as well as having a file share capability I also have off-site back-up. Just in case the house burns down taking my PC and detachable hard drive with it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?