Thursday, March 24, 2011

 

Correction

Having now asked the BT support people about my PDF reader, it turns out that I was using something from HP called 'PDF Complete' which came pre-loaded on my new HP PC - and something which does not work in quite the way one might expect. A product which you can buy and which I did not know was there at all.

Good that it lists the places where your search text can be found, rather as some of the MS Office find functions do, but bad that you cannot jump from the entry in the list to the place in the document. Presumably a bug. Adobe don't bother with the list but just take you through the places, one after the other. Which would be a pain if there were lots of hits, but in this case there were not.

BT have now overseen loading the latest reader from Adobe, which does a better job of the particular search I was trying to do, and have made it the default reader for PDF documents.

None of this was difficult, but having a person to talk to (within perhaps 30 seconds of picking up the phone) resulted in resolution, whereas gazing at the screen did not. I remember something like this from the Help Desk we used to have at the Treasury. By the time you had explained what the problem was, you realised what the answer was. Making the effort to explain to someone else seemed to get the brain into gear.

All of which leaves me with thought that HP, like MS, are trying too hard. I would prefer my PC to have come into my life with Windows and whatever is needed to drive my all-in-one printer and then to leave it at that. No HP advisor, no snapfish, no anything else and no dock. A dock which I have to close every time I start the PC up. Perhaps my next support call to BT will be to get them to turn the thing off.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?