Monday, April 25, 2011

 

Magic squares

Following the report on magic squares on April 12, I am pleased to announce the publication of a first edition of an Excel workbook which computes the things. The algorithm from TB actually appears to work, although I had to put a limit of 1,000 in as Excel got into a bit of a twist when I tried 4,035. Not that I believe that anyone other than Excel is in the wrong.

And I can also report that both diagonals add to the same total as all the rows and all the columns do.

Down load http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8152054/magicsquare-20110425a.xlsm. Put the size of the magic square in the first cell and fire up the code in module 1. A reminder of one of the many 80-20 rules, with this one being the one that says you can get code which works for 20% of the effort required to get code which works for someone else.

Signed copies available on application.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?