Tuesday, June 28, 2011

 

DIY (2)

Now completed 5 of the eight elements. Keeping more or less on schedule. Should have the first of the four trestles assembled tomorrow, ready for the start of height testing by the assembled family. I suspect a bit of shortening is going to be called for, which will disturb the proportions slightly. But better than lengthening, which would have seriously disturbed the proportions.

And before anyone suggests that maybe I should have worked a bit harder on getting the length right in advance, maybe with the aid of a few cosines, I am fairly sure that even had I done the extra work, the family would still have insisted on a fitting & adjustments. Nothing like sitting at the finished object to find out what is wrong with it.

Along the way, I have been reminded how much of the time goes on marking out - and how easy it is to make mistakes. Just as well I am not doing indoor furniture where all the pencil and knife marks have to be planed or sanded out before varnishing (not into French polish these days. Varnish is a lot better than it was and French polishing was always a bit of a performance).

Getting quite tired, no longer being used to working, never mind working with my hands. But I get along OK if I take it slowly and do not take too many breaks.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?