Wednesday, October 19, 2011

 

More failure

I notice this morning that the right heel of my four weeks' old Airwalk trainers has already gone through, with the left heel not far behind. From which I learn that Airwalk heels are made rather like those from Clarks; that is to say that the sturdy looking heel is honeycombed with sponge filled holes, a heel which it is impossible to repair. Not impressed. See 21st September for original posting.

But things are looking up as I have now completed my new hifi setup with a CD player from the same stable as the amplifier. See 1st October for original posting.

The next step was to get some CDs so that I could make sure the thing worked, so off to the British Heart Foundation where I was able to procure an embryo collection of 3 CDs for the sum of £3. Reflecting my lack of experience in these matters, it was not until I got home that I found that one of the boxes was empty. As it happens, the CD would have been a duplicate of a disc, at least up to the piece of music being played, so not a major deal. And the Foundation is £1 better off than it should be. It then took about an hour to get the thing out of its box, wired up underneath the amplifier and playing Grieg. Maybe this is the key to the next bit of DIY: a polished wooden case for the CD collection. Anything better than painting the back door.

Which reminds me of two other senior moments over the last week or so. On the first occasion, I was passing from West Hill to Christchurch Road, more or less at junction with Stamford Green Road, when I was stopped by a young lady in a health uniform and with a large health bag who wanted to know where West Hill Avenue was. I explained that this was West Hill and that West Hill Avenue was probably off it, up the hill somewhere, waving vaguely in the Epsom direction. The young lady had almost vanished when I remembered that I had just passed the exit of West Hill Avenue in Manor Green Road. An avenue I have walked up many times and an exit I have walked past a lot more times. Very bad.

On the second occasion, I was walking along Chessington Road towards West Ewell station, more or less at the junction with Longmead Road, when I was stopped by two young ladies, neither in uniform. They wanted Richards Field. I hadn't got a clue. Then they said, well what about a car park? At which point I remembered that I had just passed one and sent them on their way, wondering why they had switched from Richards Field to car park. Did they want to park up while they searched? Some minutes later I remembered that the car park was in Richards Field, and their directions must have included something about car parks so that I was able to make the connection. But another road I have walked past many times. Not on my beat so not very bad. But bad.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?