Saturday, October 22, 2011

 

Tawdry Trinity

Coming up to the 30th Sunday in ordinary time, I see fit to record three tawdrities of the world of Cameron.

First, we have the spectacle of middle aged ladies twirling around in tights and sequins for the amusement of the masses.

Second, we have newspapers celebrating the lynching of a head of state with large front page pictures of his bloodied corpse. Even the usually solemn and serious Guardian caught up in the fever.

Third, we have learned counsel quizzing a murderer about the murky depths of his sexuality & personality in front of his victim's parents. It would be far more dignified all round if this line of questioning were not pursued. I for one am content to leave it to the judge to sort out whether to bang him up in Broadmoor or a regular prison.

And then there is the sad news that the fish shop in Creek Road near Hampton Court appears to be no more. I have lost my supplier of Arbroath Smokies, although it is possible that one can get the things at Selfridges or Harrods.

But there is some good news. On Friday I did a bit of adult education, the first since I gave up work. Education during which I did not come near to falling asleep in after lunch, quite good for me. The education was a one day bread making course put on at the Molesey Adult Learning Centre, also known as the Henrietta Parker Centre for Home and Family Studies, set up some 50 years after Mrs. Parker died (in 1934), bequeathing monies for this purpose. Such are the mysterious ways of charitable trusts. She is however recognised in a memorial display of small patchwork pictures - very clever they are too - in the centre café.

As a result of the course, a reasonably priced, well organised and well led affair, I think I can now make white bread much more like that of the better bakers than I have managed hitherto. The theory is that I have been doing far too much rising. English bread is supposed to be soft, damp and bland, without the body, texture and flavour one gets with a long rise. I shall report further in due course.

Easy to find out about these courses. Go to http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/, then learning, then adult learning. The only catch being that there are not that many places with the right sort of training kitchens and there are not that many bread making courses. There are, I believe, quite a few run by celebrity bakers and bakeries, but I guess that these are longer and a lot dearer.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?