Thursday, May 17, 2012

 

Merrells

On 26th October I reported buying a pair of Merrells, having become disatisfied with Nike, despite the noisy glamour of Niketown at Oxford Circus.

These took a little breaking in, but once broken in were very comfortable, and when in health I do 5 or 6 miles a day in them. As it turns out, they lasted about the same six months that I was getting out of Nike, with three failures cumulating to the need to replace. The undersides of the heels were wearing down, with the base course showing through the wearing course - to use a blacktop analogy - and the backs of the heels were breaking down. This last was probably down to my failure to used shoe horns to put the things on, just cramming my feet into the things any old how. Thirdly, the right hand shoe was developing a hole around the little toe, the lightweight net filled leather network construction not coping with the right foot bashing into something at some point.

So off to 'Walkabout' (http://www.walkaboutepsom.co.uk/) to get a new pair, having observed that this establishment was a Merrell stockist. Also the place, as it happens, from which I sourced my ice walking strap-ons. Show the trainers which needed replacing to the chap behind the jump. Oh no sir. We don't stock that model. Whereupon he goes back to doing the crossword, giving me the message loud and clear that trainers of the sort I was wearing were scarcely better than leisure wear; not the sort of thing that a hard core outdoor store would stock. As an afterthought he added 'Why doesn't sir try Millets?'.

Which I did, and rather to my surprise Millets did stock the shoe in question, in the right size, but sadly in the wrong colour. So I had to settle for brown shoes rather than the green shoes that I had got used to. The brown seemed very bright and brash; easy to see why Millets had brown in stock rather than green. However, my eyes have got used to the brown, and my feet have got used to the new, rather more quickly than on the first occasion. We will see if we get the same six months out of these ones.

Six months being, as it happens, the estimate of useful life given us by the chap at Cotswolds of Kingston (the Surrey one, not the Sussex one), when buying the first time around.

PS: Mr. Google knew that I wanted the Walkabout in Epsom. He is clearly storing up important information about me. Next step: find out what sort of an outfit Walkabout it. Franchise or what?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?