Sunday, May 20, 2012

 

Music while you work

In or around the panic recorded on 21st December last we acquired a set of headphones to plug into the PC into which I am typing, headphones which have never been on BH's head, never mind used for the intended purpose of Brucie Replay.

However, yesterday she noticed that an Orson Welles version of Macbeth had nearly finished playing on BBC2, so having caught the last two minutes, I trotted across to the trusty BBC iplayer to see the thing properly. Not present then and not present now, at least not for me; so not so trusty after all. But in the course of fiddling about with the thing, was reminded that the only way I had to poke the headphones into action seemed to be to activate an annoying jingle, sourced from who knows where, called 'Bagbaby'. Presumably & partly as a result, when I woke this morning I thought that it would be far more fitting if I put Shostakovitch's preludes and fugues onto the Internet computer and used one of them for the purpose of poking the headphones into life.

Leap out of bed to inspect my backup records and decide that I have not retained a CD copy. But I do have a copy on a PC so am able to burn a new one and from thence copy it onto the Internet PC. A process which takes maybe 10 minutes, considerably less time than it takes to play the preludes, after which the headphones are behaving themselves and are presently pumping No. 4 into my ears.

I learn that this particular music is far too rich to attempt while doing anything else, so not fitted for the banal intended purpose at all. Also that earphones make one's ears rather hot. Plus a touch of earache. How on earth does FIL manage for hour after hour? Maybe the circulation in his admittedly elderly ears is a bit attenuated.

Will I ever get around to the mysteries of Windows Media Player? It seems to be doing the business, but I am not very sure how I got there. Will it continue to play the preludes in the right order? The way that they have been named suggests that it might.

PS: given up on BBC and bought a copy of the film from Amazon, from someone who said that he had just two left. Presumably the BBC screening has prompted a run on the things. Or perhaps it is one of those just two's intended to prompt purchase rather than to inform.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?