Monday, May 14, 2012

 

Return of the native

It turns out that I was a little unfair on returns at the Festival Hall on April 23rd. Not only did my return of that day get returned to me as a credit note, but I have now discovered that up to 48 hours before a concert they will take any ticket back against a credit note, without regard to selling out. A policy reasonably clearly set out in their terms and conditions if one bothers to read them.

Now for many years before I packed up work, I had been passing a burlesque house, just out of Vauxhall heading towards Waterloo, called, as I recall, the 'Queen Anne'. An establishment sufficiently famous to get itself into such organs as the 'Daily Mail' and the 'Evening Standard' from time to time and which was run by a rather tough looking lady from Chard. Also quite near a second hand office block into which the Treasury was once thinking of moving, before the newly installed Gordon instructed whoever it was who did the cost benefit analysis to do it again. Yesterday, I noticed that it had become a tea room so I thought I ought to give it a go, and so after doing my returns I strolled back to the tea room to take Chelsea bun with tea. Very good they were too, although not cheap. But one does not mind paying for quality, quality which included a good range of cake, mostly English style. A pleasantly run operation with a pleasantly amateurish feel about it - which last did make me wonder a bit how long it will last. Must take BH there while it does.

Over the tea and bun it seemed appropriate to read the 'Daily Mail' on offer where I read - learn is perhaps too strong a word for this newspaper - that the Warfarin with which I have now become acquainted is the subject of a lot if not most of the prescriptions which get known to be wrong. Given the number of health warnings which come with my prescription, I can only suppose that the number of mistakes is related to the large numbers of prescriptions rather than to any particular propensity to error.

Two other sights on this occasion. The first was a large mobile crane in the precincts of the Festival Hall, a large mobile crane which when erected became a small tower crane, complete with what looked like a lift running up the side of the tower to carry the driver to the cab at the top. Never seen such a thing before. The second was a rather odd looking tripping boat called, I think, the 'Spirit of Chartwell', the very same boat which is shortly to carry the monarch down the river and which I saw slipping under Lambeth Bridge. Where by odd I mean that the thing looked as if it had been stripped down for an overhaul which was still in progress. Have they got time to finish the job before the off or did I get the name wrong? See http://www.spiritofchartwell.com/ for how the thing is supposed to look when it is not carrying The Queen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?