Thursday, September 13, 2012

 

Certain health matters

We had occasion today to look at a Red Cross site about wheel chairs. I have twice had the occasion in the last month of so to buy a book the title of which associates to deaf which associates to disabled (of which more anon). And some months ago I signed up for a couple of other disabled flavored outfits.

So now someone sees fit to send me an email - not a pop-up advertisement - for a guide to claiming money off the government on account of my disability.

So the question is, by what route did this email get generated? Are Google playing match maker between my emails and people who want to sell me things? I was aware that they did this to the extent of targeting me for pop-ups but emails is new - and rather more intrusive, with the suggestion the the people who want to sell me things now have my email address. Maybe I ticked something or failed to tick something in my account profile which controls this sort of thing? No big deal really, the white paint might have worn off my delete button but I do still know where it is. Maybe I should put a drop of white gloss on it just to be sure - assuming that the white gloss did not dissolve the button that is. But it is the sort of thing that makes BH quite cross; cross enough to move her email account elsewhere - and I do not suppose that she is the only one.

But having let off steam, I have now got to the bottom of the offending email and find that actually it is connected with the RADAR people, one of the aforesaid disabled flavored outfits, one with which I am otherwise well pleased. The service they provide in the way of DTs is excellent. So both the fact and the uncouth loudness of the email are forgiven and Mr. Google emerges with his reputation unspotted.

Then yesterday was the day of the extraction of a loose front tooth. A banal enough incident, certainly at my age, but the point of interest is in the sensations generated.

We are told by advertisements on tube trains that problems with heart might manifest themselves more or less anywhere in the upper heart side of the body, going as far as the upper arms and the lower jaw. Which makes one think that the way that the brain maps the nerve signals coming from the heart is a bit hit and miss. That the brain's map of the heart is not much good. And then we read in war stories about pains coming from absent limbs, this being more a matter of the brain's map of the limb in question being a bit out of date. Reboot the system and all will be well.

The sensations arising from the extraction fell somewhere between these two examples. In the first instance, before the anaesthetic wore off, such sensation as there was, mild pain even, came from the upper front teeth and the front palette which had not been disturbed. As the anaesthetic wore off, the pain moved to the lower front teeth where it belonged. A rather mobile pain, seemingly located in the teeth which remained rather than the sore gums where the tooth had been removed. And then in the morning, a farewell mild pain from the uppers again.

In the meantime, other odd sensations from the bite, which had been disturbed because the tooth which had been taken out had projected by a millimeter or more above its neighbours, making it a bite tooth if that is the word for teeth making contact with their oppos when biting lightly on an empty mouth. A tooth which had taken a bit of stick over the years when biting into raw carrots and such like. But I got quite a lot of sensations from parts of the mouth where teeth had been missing for years, where there was no question of any biting going on. It was if the brain's map of the jaw had been thrown into disarray, a disarray going rather further than the bits of the bite which had been changed. All settled down now with the right sensations from the right parts of the mouth.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?